St Mary’s School is a systemic school, being responsible to the Bishop through the Executive Director: Catholic Schools.
1908 Sergeant Bergin of the Goondiwindi Police with the support of fellow Catholics wrote to Archbishop Dunne of Brisbane requesting a Convent in Goondiwindi.
1911 St Mary’s School was opened by the Sisters of Mercy. Originally it catered for both boarding and day students from Year 1 to Year 7.
1952 The old school building was used until December 1952, when the brick hall and classroom block were opened. The original wooden school and church buildings are now located on private property at 'South Gooray'.
1965 A high top was added so that education could continue to Grade 10. This secondary department closed in 1972.
1983 The Sisters of Mercy withdrew from the administration of the school in December 1983 and by 1987 St Mary’s became a totally lay staffed school.
1992 A preschool was established in 1992 within refurbished classrooms. This Early Education Centre provided a smooth transition from home to Catholic schooling.
2006 The upper school was refurbished. The completion of the project ensured all children had air conditioned and heated classrooms and an undercover area. The Administration Block and Library were refurbished, providing a work area relevant to the needs of today. The front of the school was rendered, the Mercy block veranda was refurbished, tuckshop externals refurbished and painting occurred in keeping with other school facilities.
2007 Preschool ceased to exist and Prep commenced.
2009 We saw the completion of six new classrooms, Bethany, and toilet block facilities to cater for the increased student numbers.
2010/2011 The completion of the Centenary Centre, new library, tuckshop and multi-purpose centre were achieved through the BER-Better Educational Revolution a Federal Government Program. 2011 also saw the refurbishment of the Administration Building as part of a State funded grant.
2011 This was a significant year at St Mary’s. We celebrated our 100th year and celebrated with our centenary book launch, Mass, our Moonlight Carnival and cocktail evening.
2014 The refurbishment of the old hall and lower Mercy classrooms were completed. A new Science Lab was built and created a multipurpose Art and Home Economics room, whilst all other classrooms in this block were refurbished.
2015 St Mary’s introduced a Middle School, offering Years 7 and 8.
2016 Toowoomba Catholic Schools Office purchased the Masonic Hall (the building opposite St Mary’s) for future development and use for the Middle School.
2017 The house at 27 Brisbane Street was purchased for the development of the secondary campus.
2018 Master plan for St Mary’s School was developed.
2019 The development of the new Year 7 - 10 campus began with stage 1 (removal of the house at 27 Brisbane Street) and stage 2 (building of a Manual Arts classroom, amenities and a Flexible Learning Area).
2020 The new secondary building was opened by Dr Pat Coughlan and blessed by Bishop Robert McGuckin. The Mercy building was refurbished to accommodate eight classrooms, Student Services rooms and Teacher Aide workrooms.